Friday, December 5, 2008

Memories to last Forever!!


Okay so I am really going to try not to make this blog into a book. We had a fabulous trip. First off I will give an overview of where we went. We flew to Barcelona, Spain and got to experience the metro for the first time ever. That was a little crazy with all the luggage we had not to mention that dad almost got pick pocketed (luckily he realized what was going on). We got on the ship from there the next day and the cruise took us to Villefranche, France (near nice), then to the ports near Piza, then Rome both in Italy if you didn't know. It then circled around to Ajaccio, Corsicca, France and then to Malaga, Spain. We then sailed across the Atlantic to New York.

To make this shorter then it could be I will just tell you that most places all we really did was get off the ship and went exploring the area which were Beautiful. It was a very cool experience to be the foreigner. As an American I have seen lots of people from other places and heard them speak their languages and tried to communicate with them, but when your the minority its so different. It was really fun when we were not in the highly tourist areas because we got to see how other countries and cultures really live. It really truly did make me grateful for what I have and where I live.


It was really cool to go to Piza and see the Leaning Tower of Piza, but the cathedral that is in front of it was so much more impressive then the tower. It was build in the 1500's some time (if I remember right) and painted by DaVinci. It was amazing to think that we were standing in a building that is a whole lot older then our country, crazy!



Rome was georgeous! We hit the major stops such as the Colesseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and a very interesting thing happened at the Vatican City. We were hoping to go see the Sistine Chapel, but everything that blocked off and there were tons of people everywhere! We found out that the Pope was coming out to address all the people. He came in his little "Pope-mobile" which was like a golf cart and drove around the square so we got to see him from about 5 ft away. Not a bad trade off. How many people actually get to see the Pope, especially in The Vatican on their visit to Europe.

The cruise itself was a lot of fun and it was nice to have some family there to enjoy it with us. We had a couple of rough days at sea, but not too bad and most of the trip was around 60-65 degrees, not to cold at all. A couple of a us got sea sick, but only a few times. We had Thanksgiving Dinner on the boat which wasn't nearly as good as homemade, but at least we had Thanksgiving before we left too.
We got off the ship in New York and it was as foreign for us as Europe was. It was really fun to explore there too. There were so many Christmas lights on top of all the city lights. Unfortunately the tree in Rockefeller Center was not lit yet, but all the other decorations were up. We went and saw Wicked that day and it was amazing!! The next day we went on a tour of Ground Zero and the statue of Liberty, but unfortuantely it was raining that day and it was really cold. I had also had a cold from a few days before so it was close to miserable. We were hoping to go and see Central Park and explore some other things that day, but it was just too wet and cold. I guess we will just have to go back someday. I have a lot of pictures and I think I will try and make a slideshow and put it on here later. It was a great trip, but we were happy to get home (especially after all of our delayed flights). We definately will remember this one forever.

2 comments:

mom o said...

It is great how you and Lacy talked about the same things but then you also put up different pictures. I have loved reading about your trip. It sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad that you are back home with hopefully a place to live. Love you lots, Sandra

Mel Bernard said...

Your trip sounds amazing- how fun for you!! I am glad you got to experience all of that.